Technology

Philadelphia boys' basketball team challenges season-ending forfeit after on‑court clash

2026-02-17 04:17
328 views
Philadelphia boys' basketball team challenges season-ending forfeit after on‑court clash

Carver Engineering and Science was disqualified in the final minute of last week's matchup against Constitution High School.

Story byWPVIPhiladelphia boys' basketball team challenges season-ending forfeit after on‑court clashBriana SmithTue, February 17, 2026 at 4:17 AM UTC·2 min read

A Philadelphia high school boys' basketball team is urging officials to reconsider a rule that ended its season after players left the bench during an on-court altercation in a Public League quarterfinal game.

Carver Engineering and Science was disqualified in the final minute of last week's matchup against Constitution High School. The confrontation, which was captured on video by the sports recording service HUDL, shows an E&S player raising his hands before being shoved. Moments later, fans ran onto the court.

AdvertisementAdvertisementAdvertisement

"They took away something we earned. We did that by ourselves," senior point guard Matthew McField said.

McField said the team's season ended unfairly during Thursday's playoff game.

"We put our blood, sweat and tears into it. So that was an emotional game, and it really meant a lot to us," he said.

E&S was leading 61-49 with just over a minute remaining when the incident occurred.

Parents said a few Constitution players left their bench, followed by the rest of the E&S team.

"I feel like we only came off the bench to protect the players," McField said.

AdvertisementAdvertisementAdvertisement

Philadelphia Public League President James Lynch informed parents by email that the team's actions violated the league's "unsportsmanlike conduct policy," resulting in a forfeit loss and a one-game suspension.

Constitution will advance to the semifinal against Imhotep on Tuesday.

"They're taking away a season from them when they worked hard. Not for one year, for four years," said parent David McField.

Parents are calling on league officials to reinstate the team's season and review the rules governing such incidents.

"It's disheartening," said Miya Brown, a parent and president of the Philadelphia Home and School Council. "I think cases like this need to be assessed on an incident-by-incident basis. Rules don't apply equally across the board because every situation will be different."

AdvertisementAdvertisementAdvertisement

"All I would ask for is ya'll to give us our season back because we really deserve it, and we really earned it, and we want to show everyone what we worked hard for," Matthew said.

Carver E&S players and parents say they remain hopeful, though the semifinal game is scheduled for 6 p.m. Tuesday.

Coaches from Constitution and officials from the Public League were contacted for comment, but we're still waiting to hear back.

AdvertisementAdvertisement